Effective 1 September 2019
“We are committed to protecting your information and to process your it transparently. You agree to submit certain personal information to us for the purpose of optimising our range of products and services to you.”
Shoprite Checkers (Pty) Ltd recognises its obligation to respect and protect the confidentiality of your personal and financial information. This processing policy concerns the processing of personal data on users of and visitors to our website. Although most information on this site is available without the need to provide personal data, in specific cases the user is asked for personal details.
The processing of personal data must be transparent and secure in conformity with the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPI) as well as the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). This processing policy contains the information required by POPI and GDPR.
Who We Are
When we refer to "we", "us" or "our" herein we are referring to Shoprite Checkers (Pty) Ltd (Registration Number 1929/001817/07) and its affiliated group companies, or any of them, as the context requires, as well as our assignees and successors in title. Our principal place of business is at Cnr William Dabbs & Old Paarl Roads, Brackenfell, 7561 but we recommend you contact our Risk and Compliance Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
“We collect information about you when you interact with our various channels or through entities/people who are permitted to share your data with us. We take every reasonable precaution to protect any and all information we collect on our customers.”
You recognise that in order to make use of our products and services you will have to provide us with certain information pertaining to you, failing which we may not be able to render such products or services to you. However, the choice of providing us with information remains yours at all times.
We may collect information about you as follows:
- From you, including all the information as contained in the forms that you submit (including your name, contact details, age, identity number, assets, liabilities, income and payment records), requests or transactions, when you use our web sites or otherwise when you apply for our services or make use of our services;
- When you register on the website and/or subscribe to our newsletter, we ask you to enter some personal details (forename, surname and email address). These personal data are used for the management of the site and the service for which you are registered;
- From public registers, credit bureaus, money laundering, fraud prevention and law enforcement agencies and from your current and previous insurance companies, including for the purposes of processing your application for credit or services and to reassess your status from time to time;
- From people and entities employed by us to provide services for us, which may include debt collection services, cheque verification services, communications services and data hosting, processing and management services;
- From persons employed by you to provide services to you, including communications services and data hosting, processing and management services;
- Details of your preferences regarding our products and services, and other demographic and lifestyle information;
- Details of when you contact us and when we contact you, including the IP addresses, electronic mail addresses and telephone numbers you contact us from and the content of the communications between us, which we may record. We may hold your information collected hereunder for as long as you are registered to use our services and for at least five years thereafter or such longer period as may be required or permitted by law.
- From such other persons as you may consent to or which may be legally entitled to provide us with information about you; and
- We may also make enquiries with anyone for the purposes of verifying the accuracy of information already given to us.
In accordance with POPI and GDPR, the legal basis for processing your personal data is your permission.
“Our primary goal for processing and sharing your information with external parties is to continuously improve our offerings to you and will only contact you via our channels as stipulated by you.”
To process your application for credit and orders for goods or services and for making related decisions (such as the continuation or extension of credit), including by verifying your identity, credit status, contact details, financial track record and otherwise ascertaining that you qualify for our services from time to time;
- To take such actions as may be required to enable and improve your use of our services and to exercise our rights and comply with our obligations in respect thereof, including by processing and recording your product and service requests and transactions, managing your accounts and policies, delivering our products and services to you, communicating with you regarding your use of our products and services and collecting payments you may owe us;
- To ensure that the information we receive and hold about you is accurate, complete and up to date;
- To prevent, investigate and prosecute fraud, money laundering, terrorism, abuse of our services and other unlawful activities;
- To comply with legal and regulatory requirements, for audit purposes and legal proceedings;
- To conduct market research and business analysis, understand your preferences, learn more about the products and services that you are interested in and improve the products and services we offer to you;
- To inform and provide you with the opportunity to make use of products, services and benefits that we offer and that we believe may be of interest to you to the extent that we are lawfully permitted to do so; and
- For such other purposes as you may consent to or as may otherwise be lawfully permitted, including for the purposes of protecting our and/or your legitimate interests and/or that of our suppliers and other customers.
We will provide you with reasonable opportunities to object to receiving marketing communications in the manner prescribed by law, including upon your application to subscribe to our services and on each occasion when we send you such communications. Please note that we may use a credit-scoring or other automated decision-making system to assess your applications for credit. If we use an automated decision-making system, we will provide you with a description of the underlying logic of our decision-making system and provide you with an opportunity to make representations to us regarding the decision.
“We will only ever share your information with parties that do not form part of our value chain when required to do so by law. We also don’t sell information to 3rd parties for marketing purposes and take comprehensive measures to keep your information safe.”
In particular, we do not sell lists or databases with our clients' information and will not provide any of your information to entities outside our group so as to permit them to market their goods or services to you.
You agree that we may transfer your information to the following people and organisations in pursuit of the data processing purposes set out in this policy:
- To the divisions and entities in the Shoprite group, including to the directors, employees, contractors, agents, auditors, legal and other professional advisors of the divisions and entities in the Shoprite group;
- To banks, credit bureaus and fraud prevention agencies, who may link your information with those of your family members and business associates, provided that we will notify you in advance before we provide adverse information about you to a credit bureau and, upon request, provide you with a copy of such information as required by law;
- To your bank and to the other issuers of payment cards issued to you at your request, and to any other person that supplies, supports or underwrites a service or product we provide to you insofar as it pertains to your subscription to and use of such service or product;
- To governmental, judicial, regulatory and law enforcement bodies and agencies, including any credit regulator;
- To persons employed by us to provide services on our behalf that adhere to principles similar to ours regarding the treatment of your information, including delivery, debt collection, data hosting, processing and management services;
- To any person to whom we cede, delegate, transfer or assign any of our rights or obligations pertaining to the products or services provided to you or contracts concluded with you;
- To any person that acts as your legal guardian, executor of your estate, curator or in a similar capacity;
- To any person that guarantees or stands surety for the performance of your obligations to us insofar as it pertains to such guarantee or suretyship;
- To such other persons as may be permitted by applicable law or that you may consent to, including persons and entities who may request such information to evaluate your creditworthiness.