Bacon Wrapped Maple Pork Fillet with slaw
Bacon Wrapped Maple Pork Fillet
Fall in love with this moreish bacon and maple syrup-infused pork fillet. Served with slaw, it’s a match made in heaven. (Serves 2)
For the fillet you’ll need:
1 large or 2 small pork fillets (500g–600g)
250 g streaky bacon (or pancetta if you’re feeling flush)
2 cloves garlic; finely chopped
2 tbsp. sage; finely chopped
3 tbsp. maple syrup
30 ml olive oil
15 ml butter
1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp. crème fraîche
1 tsp. water (optional)
Salt and pepper; to taste
For the red slaw you’ll need:
1 baby red cabbage or ½ a large red cabbage; very finely shredded
½ small red apple; peeled and very finely chopped
¼ cup raw almonds; roughly chopped
½ cup dried cranberries or raisins
15 ml red wine vinegar
15 ml olive oil
1 tsp. wholegrain mustard
Freshly squeezed lemon juice; to taste
Salt and pepper; to taste
Dollop of crème fraîche (optional)
For the fillet:
1. Preheat oven to 200 °C.
2. Pat fillet dry and cut each fillet in half sideways to create shorter “logs” (cut off small end if you want).
3. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Stir together garlic, sage and 1 tbsp. maple syrup in a small bowl and rub over pork.
5. Lay bacon slices over fillet, overlapping slightly, and tuck ends underneath loin. If you are feeling adventurous, try a criss-cross
pattern for a plaited look.
6. In a non-stick pan, heat olive oil and butter over medium-high heat.
7. Fry wrapped fillets on all sides, taking care not to move the rolled bacon – this will take about 8–10 min.
8. Transfer fillets to a baking tray (keep the pan with juices for later).
9. Brush 1 tbsp. maple syrup over bacon slices.
10. Roast for 8–12 min. in the oven, depending on the thickness of the meat. You want it to be cooked but still tender on the inside,
not overcooked and dry.
11. Transfer roast to cutting board and allow to rest.
12. Use your original frying pan and add apple cider vinegar and crème fraîche to make the gravy.
13. Bring to a simmer and stir until slightly thickened.
14. Remove from heat, stir in remaining tbsp. maple syrup and tsp. water (if using), and season with salt and pepper.
15. Serve a spoonful of gravy with each pork fillet.
For the Slaw:
1. Place shredded cabbage, apple, almonds and cranberries in a mixing bowl, then add vinegar, oil, mustard and lemon juice.
2. Season with salt and pepper, and mix again.
3. Should you prefer a creamy slaw, add crème fraîche just before serving.
Plaisir de Merle Chardonnay, Le Riche Cabernet Sauvignon, Cloof The Very Sexy Shiraz. For more detailed tasting notes, visit our wine blog.
Please select your current province. This will allow us to tailor our latest offers for you.
Each of our stores has its own amazing deals. Simply select your area and you’ll be able to see all the specials at a Checkers closest to you.