Light Fruit Cake
Don’t let Christmas sneak up on you this year. Bake this soft-crumbed, light cake and keep it well soaked until it’s present time! Made with our delicious mixed nut Padkos range!
250 g butter
250 g caster sugar
4 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Juice and grated rind of 1 orange
100 g glacé cherries
250 g golden sultanas
250 g cake mix
50 g mixed peel
100 g chopped nuts (optional)
300 g plain flour
1 tsp. mixed spice
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
Blanched almonds and glacé cherries for decorating
½ cup brandy for sprinkling
1. Butter and line a 22 cm spring form pan.
2. Also line the sides of the pan with 2 strips of non-stick baking paper that extends about 4 cm above the pan.
3. Preheat oven to 160°C.
4. Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
5. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
6. Add the juice and zest of the orange and vanilla extract and mix.
7. Fold in the fruit and nuts.
8. Mix together the flour, spices, baking powder and salt and fold this into the cake batter.
9. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and decorate the top of the cake with blanched almonds and cherries.
10. Place the pan on a baking sheet and bake for 1 hr.
11. Reduce the oven temperature to 150°C for another 1 hr.
Or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out with just a few moist crumbs.
Cover the cake tin with baking paper if the top of the cake browns too much.
12. Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool for 15 min.
13. Poke holes in the surface of the cake and sprinkle with the brandy.
14. Remove from the cake tin and allow the cake to cool completely.
15. Wrap the cake thoroughly in foil and place in an airtight container. Brush the cake once to twice a week generously with brandy.
16. The cake can be eaten after 2 weeks and will last up to a month.
Recipe by: Hein van Tonder
Please select your current province. This will allow us to tailor our latest offers for you.
Each of our stores has its own amazing deals. Simply select your area and you’ll be able to see all the specials at a Checkers closest to you.