A South African inspired seafood stew with hake, prawns and fresh black mussels.
Olive oil; for frying
1 onion; finely chopped
2 cloves garlic; crushed
1 whole chorizo; sliced into rounds
1 fennel bulb; thinly sliced
Pinch of dried chilli
125 ml white wine
250 ml tomato puree
1 tbsp. (15 ml) sugar
750 ml chicken stock
Salt and freshly ground pepper
600 g hake; cut into bite-size pieces
16 whole mussels; cleaned
16 whole prawns; deveined and left whole
Handful fresh parsley; roughly chopped
Lemon wedges; for serving
Fresh crusty bread; for serving
1. Heat a little oil in a pojie pot and gently fry the onions, garlic and chorizo until lightly golden.
2. Add the fennel and chilli and fry for a couple more minutes or until the fennel has softened slightly.
3. Add the wine, followed by the tomato puree, sugar and stock.
4. Season with salt and pepper and allow to simmer for about 20 min. to enhance the flavours.
5. Add the hake and prawns, and then cover and allow to cook for about 5 min.
6. Add the mussels. Cover and cook for a further 5 min. or until mussels have opened and fish is cooked.
7. Scatter with freshly chopped parsley and serve immediately with lemon wedges and fresh crusty bread.
Please select your current province. This will allow us to tailor our latest offers for you.
Each of our stores has its own amazing deals. Simply select your area and you’ll be able to see all the specials at a Checkers closest to you.