Sign up, swipe & save instantly
- Up to 25% in instant savings
- Personalised Xtra Savings just for you
- Stand a chance to win your groceries
- Support your favourite charities
Try this fresh take on an old faithful. The vitamin-rich fruit ingredients make this a decadent, guilt-free dessert.
1. Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
2. Sieve flour into a bowl and mix with the sugar and salt.
3. Add butter and rub into the flour mixture using your fingers to form a coarse crumb.
4. Place apples in a large bowl and sprinkle over the sugar, cinnamon, ginger, grated orange zest and orange juice. Stir to coat.
5. Grease a 22 cm ovenproof dish with butter and fill with the fruit mixture. Top with the crumble mixture.
6. Bake in the oven for 40–45 min., until the crumble is browned and the fruit mixture is cooked and bubbling.
7. Serve with whipped cream or plain yoghurt and toasted hazelnuts.
For the crumble:
• 1 cup (250 ml) cake wheat flour
• 1 cup (250 ml) rolled oats
• ¾ cup (180 ml) brown sugar
• Pinch of salt
• ¾ cup (180 ml) unsalted butter; cut into cubes, at room temperature
For the filling:
• 5 apples; peeled, cored and chopped
• ¼ cup (60 ml) brown sugar
• ½ tsp. (2.5 ml) ground cinnamon
• 2 tsp. (10 ml) grated ginger
• Grated zest and juice of 1 Cara Cara orange
• Knob of butter, to grease
• Whipped cream or plain yoghurt, to serve
• Toasted hazelnuts, to serve