Sign up, swipe & save instantly
- Up to 25% in instant savings
- Personalised Xtra Savings just for you
- Stand a chance to win your groceries
- Support your favourite charities
All the prices and specials you see will be from that store.
If this isn’t your nearest Shoprite, you can select another store below.
This healthy Butternut and Sweet Potato Gnocchi Recipe is perfect for a meat-free meal. Plus, you don’t have to waste those carrot tops – turn them into a tasty pesto to pour over the gnocchi.
1. Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
2. Place the sweet potatoes and butternut on a tray and roast for 30 min. or until cooked through. Allow it to cool, then transfer to a food processor and blend until smooth.
3. Combine the puree with the flour, salt and pepper. Shape into a ball.
4. Place on a lightly floured surface and knead for about a minute. Using a floured rolling pin, roll out to 2 cm thick.
5. Cut dough into shapes using floured cookie cutters and set aside.
6. Bring a large pot of water to the boil, add the gnocchi and remove from the pot when they float to the surface, about 1–2 min.
7. Heat butter in a large pan and fry gnocchi until golden. Set aside.
8. Dip carrot tops into simmering water for about a minute and set aside. This helps to remove the raw taste.
9. Place almonds, blanched carrot tops, basil leaves, Parmesan, olive oil and pepper in a blender and process until smooth.
10. Serve the gnocchi with pesto, extra basil leaves and grated Parmesan.
For the Gnocchi:
• 1 pack (500 g) pre-cut butternut cubes
• 1 pack (500 g) pre-cut sweet potato cubes
• 1½ cups (325 ml) cake wheat flour; plus extra for dusting
• Salt and pepper
• Pinch ground nutmeg
• 2 tbsp. (30 ml) butter
For the Carrot-Top Pesto:
• ½ cup (125 ml) washed carrot tops
• ¼ cup (60 ml) almonds; toasted
• 1 cup (250 ml) basil leaves; plus extra to serve
• ¼ cup (60 ml) grated Parmesan; plus extra to serve
• ¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil