Sign up, swipe & save instantly
- Up to 25% in instant savings
- Personalised Xtra Savings just for you
- Stand a chance to win your groceries
- Support your favourite charities
This healthy Butternut and Sweet Potato Gnocchi Recipe is perfect for a meat-free meal. Plus, you don’t have to waste those carrot tops – turn them into a tasty pesto to pour over the gnocchi.
1. Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
2. Place the sweet potatoes and butternut on a tray and roast for 30 min. or until cooked through. Allow it to cool, then transfer to a food processor and blend until smooth.
3. Combine the puree with the flour, salt and pepper. Shape into a ball.
4. Place on a lightly floured surface and knead for about a minute. Using a floured rolling pin, roll out to 2 cm thick.
5. Cut dough into shapes using floured cookie cutters and set aside.
6. Bring a large pot of water to the boil, add the gnocchi and remove from the pot when they float to the surface, about 1–2 min.
7. Heat butter in a large pan and fry gnocchi until golden. Set aside.
8. Dip carrot tops into simmering water for about a minute and set aside. This helps to remove the raw taste.
9. Place almonds, blanched carrot tops, basil leaves, Parmesan, olive oil and pepper in a blender and process until smooth.
10. Serve the gnocchi with pesto, extra basil leaves and grated Parmesan.
For the Gnocchi:
• 1 pack (500 g) pre-cut butternut cubes
• 1 pack (500 g) pre-cut sweet potato cubes
• 1½ cups (325 ml) cake wheat flour; plus extra for dusting
• Salt and pepper
• Pinch ground nutmeg
• 2 tbsp. (30 ml) butter
For the Carrot-Top Pesto:
• ½ cup (125 ml) washed carrot tops
• ¼ cup (60 ml) almonds; toasted
• 1 cup (250 ml) basil leaves; plus extra to serve
• ¼ cup (60 ml) grated Parmesan; plus extra to serve
• ¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil