Sign up, swipe & save instantly
- Up to 25% in instant savings
- Personalised Xtra Savings just for you
- Stand a chance to win your groceries
- Support your favourite charities
Take your boerie rolls to new levels by making everything on the braai, including the tomato sauce. You'll love the rich smoky flavour and how easy this recipe is.
1. Prepare coals to medium heat. Thread tomatoes onto skewers and place on the braai to char. Remove and place in a bowl. Mash with fork or potato masher.
2. Heat olive oil in a heavy-based pan or potjie on the fire and fry onion and thyme until softened and golden.
3. Add the mashed tomatoes, smoked paprika, tomato paste and red wine vinegar and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
4. Braai boerewors. Drizzle rolls with olive oil and toast, cut side down, on the braai grid until charred and golden.
5. Place boerewors in the toasted rolls and top with spoonfuls of smoked tomato sauce and a few fresh basil leaves. Serve immediately.
For the smoked tomato sauce:
For the boerie rolls: