Sign up, swipe & save instantly
- Up to 25% in instant savings
- Personalised Xtra Savings just for you
- Stand a chance to win your groceries
- Support your favourite charities
One of the finest cuts you’ll find on a French menu, Chateaubriand is delicious, elegant, and surprisingly simple to prepare at home. Topped with Béarnaise sauce, it’s the perfect choice for a romantic dinner for two.
1. Preheat the oven to 200 °C and rub the steak with olive oil. Season generously with salt and pepper.
2. Sear the meat: Place a pan over high heat and add oil. Once the oil is hot, place the meat into the pan and sear on all sides until well-browned – approximately 1.5 minutes per side.
3. Cook the meat : Add butter, garlic and thyme to the pan and allow it to warm through. Transfer the tenderloin and the contents of the pan to a roasting tray and place into the preheated oven and cook to your preference: For medium rare, about 15 minutes. For medium, about 20 minutes. For medium well, between 23–25 minutes.
4. Remove and rest untouched for 15 minutes before slicing.
5. Once plated, heat a shot of brandy and light it. Pour over prepared steak and wait for flames to die down.
Serving suggestion: Serve with a Béarnaise sauce drizzled over.