Sign up, swipe & save instantly
- Up to 25% in instant savings
- Personalised Xtra Savings just for you
- Stand a chance to win your groceries
- Support your favourite charities
Less mess, more flavour! Try this one-pan chicken and shimeji mushroom recipe from Freshmark and Checkers.
1. Preheat your oven to 200 °C.
2. Drizzle chicken with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
3. Heat a large ovenproof pan and brown the chicken pieces in batches until golden on all sides. Remove and set aside.
4. Add a little more olive oil to the pan and gently fry onions and pancetta for a couple of minutes or until lightly caramelised and golden.
5. Add the mushrooms, garlic and thyme and sauté for a further 5–8 minutes or until just beginning to colour. Deglaze the pan with the white wine and then add the chicken stock.
6. Return the chicken to the pan, together with the halved potatoes and place in the preheated oven for 25–30 minutes or until the chicken and potatoes are golden, crispy and cooked through.
7. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve immediately.
- Shimeji mushrooms require very little prep. You don’t need to peel or wash them. If you prefer to give yours an extra clean, do it gently.
- Easily overcooked, shimeji mushrooms are best eaten slightly firm. Cook them evenly by cutting away the bottom of the mushroom bundle and separating the stalks.
Bitter when raw, these mushrooms open up a world of umami flavour when cooked. Perfect for stir-fries, soups, sauces and Japanese cuisine. Shimeji mushrooms are:
• A good source of protein. • Packed with potassium, zinc and copper. • A great source of fibre!
How To Store It:
Shimeji mushrooms taste better fresh, so use them sooner rather than later. Store them in the fridge uncovered, in an open bag, their original packaging or wrapped in a paper towel.
Note: These mushrooms should not be frozen.
Shimeji mushrooms are a perfect meal addition for people who need to lower their cholesterol.
• 8 x chicken portions; skin on
• 2 tbsp. (30 ml) olive oil
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 2 red onions; peeled and sliced
• 100 g thinly sliced pancetta or streaky bacon
• 150 g button mushrooms; thickly sliced
• 150 g oyster mushrooms; torn
• 150 g shitake mushrooms; halved
• 150 g shimeji mushrooms; pulled apart
• 4 garlic cloves; crushed
• 4 sprigs of thyme, leaves only; chopped
• 1 cup (250 ml) dry white wine
• 1 cup (250 ml) chicken stock
• 12 fingerling potatoes; halved
• 2 tbsp. (30 ml) parsley; chopped