Sign up, swipe & save instantly
- Up to 25% in instant savings
- Personalised Xtra Savings just for you
- Stand a chance to win your groceries
- Support your favourite charities
This creamy, saucy ostrich and mushroom delight is a wonderful accompaniment to pasta or rice. It’ll be ready to enjoy in just 40 minutes.
1. Heat the oil in a large shallow saucepan and sauté the onion until glossy.
2. Add the mustard seeds (or powder), stirring until the seeds begin to pop.
3. Add the meat. Sprinkle with the flour and stock powder. Stir until well mixed and the meat is lightly browned.
4. Add the tomato paste, tomato sauce, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, sherry and enough water (about 125 ml) to just cover the meat. Cover and reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
5. Add the oregano and mushrooms and cook uncovered for another 15 minutes.
6. Season with the salt and pepper and stir in the chopped parsley.
7. Serve on cooked pasta or rice with your favourite vegetables.
• 10 ml olive or canola oil
• 1 large onion; peeled & finely chopped
• 10 ml mustard seeds or 5 ml mustard powder
• 500 g ostrich steak; cut into small cubes
• 15 ml flour
• 10 ml beef stock powder; low-salt, if possible
• 30 ml (1 x 50 g sachet) tomato paste
• 10 ml tomato sauce
• 2 ml sugar
• 15 ml balsamic vinegar
• 15 ml soy sauce
• 30–45 ml sweet sherry
• 5 ml dried oregano or 20 ml chopped fresh oregano
• 300 g mushrooms; sliced (a mix of oyster, brown & button works well)
• 2 ml salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 30 ml chopped fresh parsley