Sign up, swipe & save instantly
- Up to 25% in instant savings
- Personalised Xtra Savings just for you
- Stand a chance to win your groceries
- Support your favourite charities
For the ultimate comfort food with low effort, try this delicious recipe for quick tomato soup with basil and brie sandwiches.
For the soup:
1. In a medium size pot, heat the oil and fry the garlic over medium heat for about 1 minute.
2. Add the fine tomatoes, stock, sugar, salt and pepper. Stir and bring to a simmer, then cook for 10–15 minutes over low heat.
3. Add the cream and heat through without bringing to a complete boil again. Serve warm.
For the sandwiches:
1. Spread bread with butter (on the outside of the sandwich), and then arrange slices of Brie and basil on the inside.
2. Toast in a hot pan on both sides until golden and gooey. Serve with the soup.
Canned whole Italian tomatoes are far superior to canned chopped tomatoes, so try not to substitute the two.
Without the stock and cream, this recipe can also double up as a versatile pizza base sauce and pasta sauce.