Sign up, swipe & save instantly
- Up to 25% in instant savings
- Personalised Xtra Savings just for you
- Stand a chance to win your groceries
- Support your favourite charities
Shiitake Mushrooms are known for their versatility and distinct taste. Visit your nearest Checkers today and get all the ingredients for this delicious and nutritious salad.
1. Heat 2 tbsp. avocado oil in a pan and gently sauté the mushrooms, black garlic, ginger and chilli flakes for 3–5 minutes or until the mushrooms are golden brown.
2. Add the remaining avocado oil and the soy sauce to the pan, then remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
3. Scatter the baby spinach, julienne carrots and broccoli onto a platter.
4. Once the mushroom mixture has cooled, pour it over the salad along with the dressing.
5. Scatter with toasted cashew nuts and garnish with sprouts to serve.
- Rinse in very little water.
- Blot dry with a paper towel.
- Remove their stems, if they’ve changed from tender to tough.
- Chop or dice as preferred.
- Shiitake mushrooms also work well in powder form as a seasoning that does not add bulk or texture.
Shiitake mushrooms are the second most popular and the third most widely cultivated edible mushroom in the world. Their savoury and delicious flavour, versatility and great nutritional benefits make it a staple in many diets across the globe. With a long history of use, shiitakes have been found to: • Help lower cholesterol • Potentially boost your immune system. • Have cancer fighting properties.
How To Store It:
Store in an unsealed paper bag in your fridge, allowing them to breath and last up to a week. Alternatively, you can freeze them for up to two months. Note: Best stored in freezer cooked.
These can also be frozen. Simply place them in an airtight container.
This recipe is perfect for people who need less red meat in their diet.
• ¼ cup (60 ml) avocado oil
• 2 x 120 g shiitake mushrooms; sliced
• 1 black garlic clove; peeled and minced
• 1 tsp. (5 ml) fresh ginger; peeled and grated
• 2 x 100 g packs sweet baby broccoli; blanched
• 3 tbsp. (45 ml) Padkos cashew nuts; toasted and chopped
• 3 tbsp. (45 ml) sprouts
• ½ tsp. (2.5 ml) chilli flakes
• 3 tbsp. (45 ml) soy sauce
• 1 x 200 g pack baby spinach
• 1 x 100 g pack julienne carrots