Sign up, swipe & save instantly
- Up to 25% in instant savings
- Personalised Xtra Savings just for you
- Stand a chance to win your groceries
- Support your favourite charities
Make dessert the star attraction with this recipe for Tango Cake with Sweet Potato Icing. It’s gluten free, dairy free, full of antioxidants and made with the finest Tango fruit available at Checkers.
1. Place Tangos in a pot and cover with water.
2. Bring to a simmer and cook gently for 1 hour or until Tangos are completely soft.
3. Remove from water and allow to cool completely.
4. Blend the Tangos until a smooth puree is formed.
5. Preheat oven to 170 °C.
6. Place eggs into a large bowl and whisk until foamy. Add caster sugar and continue to whisk for 6–8 minutes, or until creamy and pale in colour.
7. Fold in vanilla essence and ground almonds.
8. Pour into a large, well-greased loaf tin and place in the oven for 45–50 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. If the cake browns before it cooks through, cover the top with foil after 35 minutes of baking.
9. Once the cake is baked through, remove from oven and allow to cool completely in the tin before gently turning out.
10. Spread generously with the chocolate sweet potato icing and serve.
To make chocolate sweet potato icing:
1. Preheat oven to 180 °C.
2. Bake sweet potatoes in the oven for 35–40 minutes or until completely soft.
3. Carefully remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes or until you can just manage to peel them.
4. Remove skin and place hot flesh into a glass bowl.
5. Add finely chopped chocolate and whisk using a handheld electric beater or whisk until the chocolate has melted and the icing is smooth.
6. Lastly, whisk in the coconut oil and allow icing to cool before spreading onto the cake.
For the cake:
• 4 Tangos; peeled
• 6 eggs; at room temperature
• 200 g caster sugar
• ½ tsp. (2.5 ml) vanilla essence
• 250 g ground almonds
For the sweet potato icing:
• 2 medium sweet potatoes (about 350 g); unpeeled and washed
• 100 g dark chocolate; finely chopped
• 1 tbsp. (15 ml) coconut oil