Sign up, swipe & save instantly
- Up to 25% in instant savings
- Personalised Xtra Savings just for you
- Stand a chance to win your groceries
- Support your favourite charities
Venison and sweet potatoes are a perfect match in this hearty recipe. You’ll enjoy the enticing sauce with its combination of subtle sherry, rosemary and celery flavours.
1. Preheat the oven to 150 ºC.
2. Heat the oil in an ovenproof casserole with lid.
3. Add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic, and fry until the onions are soft. Remove and set aside.
4. Fry the meat in batches until browned, and set aside.
5. Pour the sherry into the pan to deglaze it, making sure you scrape off the bits stuck to the bottom.
6. Add the anchovies and stir-fry for a few minutes.
7. Add the vegetables, tomatoes, mixed spice, salt and pepper, and give it a good stir.
8. Add the stock and mix with all the ingredients.
9. Place the meat back into the pot and cover it with the sliced sweet potatoes.
10. Add the lid and cook in the oven for 2–2 ½ hours until the meat is meltingly tender.
11. While the potjie cooks, make the gremolata by mixing the ingredients.
12. Serve the potjie with a spoonful of gremolata on top and some polenta or mashed potatoes to mop up the sauce.
Cooking tip: You can cook the potjie on a slow fire for 2–3 hours – make sure you place coals on the lid if you are using an open fire.
• Oil for frying
• 1 kg Bushveld Pride venison pack (available exclusively at Checkers)
• 1 large onion; chopped
• 2 large carrots; roughly sliced
• 2 celery stalks; roughly sliced
• 2 cloves garlic; mashed
• ⅓ cup sherry
• 5 anchovy fillets
• 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
• 1 tsp. mixed spice
• 1 cup beef stock
• 2 large sweet potatoes; sliced
• Salt & pepper; to taste
• Rosemary gremolata:
• 3 tbsp. fresh rosemary needles; finely chopped
• Rind of 1 lemon; grinded