Sign up, swipe & save instantly
- Up to 25% in instant savings
- Personalised Xtra Savings just for you
- Stand a chance to win your groceries
- Support your favourite charities
If you’re looking for a sweet, delicious, anytime treat to enjoy, try your hand at this convenient doughnut bites recipe.
1. Place the yeast into a small bowl and add 1 tbsp. of sugar and 2 tbsp. of warm milk.
2. Mix to form a paste and then set aside for 10 minutes or until frothy.
3. Sift 225g of the flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger into a large bowl and make a well in the centre.
4. Pour the frothy yeast mixture into the well, together with the remaining warm milk, oil and beaten egg.
5. Mix together using the back of a knife and then add in the remaining flour.
6. Tip out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic.
7. Place dough into a lightly greased bowl, cover with a clean tea towel and leave in a warm place to rise for about 45 minutes or until the dough has doubled in size.
8. Once the dough has risen, add the sultanas and knock back (punch down) the dough.
9. Divide dough into 20 small balls and place onto a lightly floured baking tray.
10. Cover with a tea towel and set aside for another 30 minutes, or until balls have doubled in size.
11. To make the crosses, mix together the flour and the water until a thick paste is formed. Place into a piping bag and pie a thin cross on each ball.
12. Deep-fry the doughnuts in hot oil until golden brown and cooked through.
13. Remove from oil and immediately dust with castor oil. Serve warm.
For the crosses: