Sign up, swipe & save instantly
- Up to 25% in instant savings
- Personalised Xtra Savings just for you
- Stand a chance to win your groceries
- Support your favourite charities
This recipe is ideal if you love burgers with a couple of gourmet twists. The succulent ostrich patties are a treat in themselves, but smouldering roasted nuts, crispy parmesan wafers and flavoursome mushrooms really make this a meal to remember.
For the ostrich burgers:
1. Mix together the barbecue sauce and oil.
2. Brush the ostrich patties on both sides and fry in a hot pan until seared but still juicy (about 2–3 min. a side).
3. Lightly toast the buns, spread with mayonnaise, top with lettuce, tomatoes, Parmesan wafers, mushrooms and browned nut.
4. Use peppadews as garnish (optional).
For the mushrooms:
1. Dry-roast the nuts in a medium saucepan.
2. Remove from the heat.
3. Add the butter, oil, garlic and onions to the pan and simmer until the onion is caramelised.
4. Remove from the heat, add back the roasted nuts and add parsley.
5. Grill the mushrooms in a little butter on both sides.
6. Fill the mushroom with the nuts and keep warm.
For the Parmesan wafers:
1. Preheat oven to 200 °C.
2. Line a large baking tray with a silicone baking mat.
3. Grate the Parmesan and place in 4 heaps.
4. Dust with paprika powder.
5. Bake for about 5 min. or until crispy and slightly toasted.
6. Cool completely and serve immediately.
For the ostrich burgers you’ll need:
For the mushrooms you’ll need:
For the Parmesan wafers you’ll need: